We are hiring!
We have an exciting opportunity for a Director – Legal & Business Affairs (Production Music International) to join our Legal & Business Affairs team!
Your Mission at BMG.
You will be responsible for assisting the Production Music International team with drafting and negotiating various agreements as mentioned below and providing business affairs assistance to the global Production Music team.
Commercial support / guidance
- Supporting and advising the senior BMG production music (PM) International management team in relation to strategic commercial decisions and opportunities.
- Be a point of contact for the PM International team as the key interface between LBA and the PM International team for strategic and high value LBA matters and represent PM within the wider LBA team.
- Develop new licensing scheme opportunities particularly in the digital space in conjunction with PM management and LBA and digital colleagues, utilizing the unique set of rights within the PM repertoire to deliver additional revenue opportunities.
- Whilst based in the UK, provide support to ensure consistency in licensing practices and rights acquisition across the PM segment working in conjunction with local LBA resource and local licensing team in other international PM territories
- Sit on the PM senior management team with LBA responsibility to provide input on management and strategic initiatives
Contract negotiation and conclusion
- Issuing various production music (PM) and audio-visual publishing related agreements. Negotiating and finalising such agreements e.g. composer agreements, sub-publishing agreements, direct licences, blanket licences, joint venture arrangements.
- Drafting, negotiating and finalising side letters / letters of variation in relation to existing PM and audio-visual publishing agreements.
- Issuing, negotiating and finalising non-disclosure agreements (working from both BMG precedent agreements and third party agreements).
- Maintaining and helping to vary existing precedent agreements (e.g. composer agreements, sub-publishing agreements, direct licences) under instruction from the PM International team. Keep abreast of laws that could impact applicable contracts and use this information to make appropriate amendments to precedent agreements, with support from senior Legal & Business Affairs (LBA) managers.
- Developing and drafting new precedent agreements as and when required by the PM International team, with support from senior LBA managers.
- Where required, co-ordinating with a variety of stakeholders across BMG Global to get their feedback on agreements/ new business opportunities etc.
Service/ General Administration
- Responding to general contractual queries and providing general business affairs support to the PM International team as and when required.
- Providing general assistance and supporting the LBA team in relation to the Production Music International business.
This job description describes the main elements of the role however a hands-on, flexible and proactive approach is expected and as such this document is not intended to be comprehensive or permanent. The job description is subject to review on an ongoing basis.
- Experience of working in an LBA team in the Music Industry
- Ability to communicate with stakeholders at all levels
- Strong attention to detail
- Excellent organisational skills
- Ability to work under pressure
- Ability to work towards strict deadlines
- Ability to spot and advise on legal implications whilst furthering business objectives and goals
- Ability to have a local focus but understand the bigger global strategic vision
- Team player
- Confident in drafting and negotiating music agreements
- Strong interest in music
- Keen interest in music business law
- Experience of working at a major record label
- Experience of working on Production Music agreements
- Knowledge or experience of collection society arrangements.
Now, what’s in it for you?
- 25 days annual leave plus 3 days between Christmas & New Year
- Subsidised gym membership
- Private Health Insurance
- Competitive pension scheme
- Annual gig allowance
- Artist showcases
- Cycle to work scheme
- Season Ticket Loan
- Access to our Employee Assistance Programme
- Subscription to Headspace
- Give As You Earn Scheme
- Flexible working
- Excellent development opportunities
- A fun and sociable office environment (Currently virtual!)
- Flexible working opportunities
Founded in 2008, BMG is already the world’s fourth biggest music publisher and the first new global player in the recordings business in decades. BMG’s pitch is unique – a relentless focus on fairness and transparency and service to its artist and songwriter clients.
BMG’s 19 offices across 12 core music markets now represent over 3m songs and recordings, and thousands of artists and songwriters attracted by its fresh approach which now includes production music, film and books as well as music publishing and recordings.
BMG is owned by international media, services and education company Bertelsmann, whose other content businesses include the broadcaster RTL Group, the trade book publisher Penguin Random House and the magazine publisher Gruner + Jahr. With its multi-platform perspective, integrated technology platform and commitment to help artists maximize their income, BMG aims to be the best company in music to do business with.