Title: Manager, Finance & Accounting
Department: Record Label
Reports to: CEO and Head of Finance
FLSA Status: Exempt
Please submit resumes to Jobs@massappeal.com
Company and Position Summary
Mass Appeal is an entertainment company dedicated to telling stories from the perspective of those who shape and shift culture. Since 1996, we have documented the emerging movements that influence popular ideas. Today, Mass Appeal is the elevated voice of Hip Hop and its ever-expanding sphere of influence. Integrated offerings in content, music, and creative services stoke Mass Appeal’s ability to maximize the impact of our output. Our diverse school of thought separates us from friends and foes alike.
Reporting to the Head of Finance, is responsible for monitoring and tracking all music revenues for Mass Appeal Records, ensuring timely receipt and allocation of earnings, setting up royalty accounts and processing payments to publishers, composers, songwriters, artists, and producers, and providing analytics, reporting and research. Responsibilities support the finance department in carrying out its day-to-day responsibilities such as processing accounts payable, reconciling bank transactions and the corporate credit card, assisting in account analysis, creating invoices, filing, mailing, maintaining records, and helping with special projects.
- Manage all day-to-day operations of Mass Appeal Records including month-end close
- Monitor and audit royalty statements received from music publishers, and music distributors, ensuring timely and accurate receipt of artist statements, and allocating earnings to the proper artist accounts.
- Generate artist statements and record royalty and mechanical royalty payments as well as tracking and allocating label revenues and costs, securing mechanical licenses using royalty reporting software.
- Producing ad hoc reports, research, calculations, and analytics as needed by Label Management and partners.
- Provide support for projects (i.e., income analysis, royalty estimates)
- Reconcile income and expense accounts.
- Prepare and post journal entries and artist account analysis
- Preparing GL account reconciliations and analysis
- Generates invoices to customers based on contractual payment terms and follows up with customers after invoices have been outstanding beyond those payment terms
- Assists in the preparation of the monthly/quarterly/annual financial package
To perform this job to the standards of Mass Appeal, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty successfully. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions of the job.
Bachelor’s degree in Accounting/Finance from an accredited university
- 3-5 years relevant accounting experience at a record label.
- Must be detailed oriented, organized, and can multi-task.
- Must be a self-starter and able to begin workflow each day with limited supervision
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel, Royalty Share or equivalent
- Experience with accounting software: QuickBooks, Great Plains or equivalent
- Must have Record Label experience.
- Seeking in candidates in New York or Los Angeles