After an explosive first year for Calm Music, we’re looking for an experienced licensing manager to help us build out our music library and partner with new artists who are excited to be on the cutting edge of innovative forms of music aimed at helping listeners relax, focus, and sleep. This role will be critical in scaling Calm’s music operations and will be focused on expanding Calm’s library by managing licensing deals and facilitating label/publishing conversations as Calm acquires more music. They will work very closely with the Sr. Licensing Manager and Head of Music to help manage the Calm Music library expansion by: licensing existing successful tracks, and helping secure original content from artists. A key part of the role will be to utilize licensing contacts to coordinate the rights process and facilitate bringing deals to completion.
- Negotiate music rights clearances and fees with record labels, music publishers, managers and artists
- Work with legal to ensure compliance on all music license details (master, publishing, PROs, union fees etc)
- Facilitate and execute work-for-hire and other various licensing agreements as needed to support all music activity across all Calm content verticals (Sleep Stories, Meditation, Music, Calm Kids, and more)
- Maintain music licensing database and a detailed record of clearances to keep the Music team informed on the status of pending music deals
- Help secure original content from well-known artists
- Work closely with Sr. Licensing Manager to secure fully executed music agreements and facilitate prompt invoicing for each launch.
- Contribute to Calm’s licensing strategy and negotiations with music publishers, CMOs (both domestic and international), and other rights holders as needed
- Organize, manage and maintain an internal library of various music form agreements, negotiated language and legal memos
- Support the continuous improvement of form agreements and legal processes as Calm Music grows
- Assist in curating and managing content to help drive Calm Music’s usability and discoverability
- Collaborate with and advise the marketing, partnerships, user acquisition teams on music rights within the Calm Music library to support various campaigns and brand initiatives
- 3-5 years of experience with extensive knowledge of the music industry landscape and how its various stakeholders interact in the system including managers, labels, publishers, lawyers various rights organizations
- Experience working within a prominent music publisher, DSP, or music division of a major tech organization
- Demonstrated knowledge of legal issues relating to music licensing and digital distribution/streaming
- Demonstrated knowledge of musical works metadata standards and management
- Experience interfacing with both creative talent and executives alike
- Direct experience working with and/or reporting to PROs and international rights organizations a plus
- Deep industry contacts and network a plus
- Highly organized
- Excellent project management skills
- Strong communication skills
- Calm under pressure
- Competitive salary and equity
- Unlimited PTO
- We pay your medical, dental, & vision insurance premiums
- Commuter benefits
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Apple equipment
- Opportunity to work with a product focused on making the world happier and healthier
- And much more!
Calm is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, political views or activity, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Calm is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. Please inform Calm’s Recruiting team if you need any assistance completing any forms or to otherwise participate in the application process.