About the Company
Spirit Music Group was founded in 1995 by a group of music industry rebels who wanted to return music publishing to its hard driving, entrepreneurial, service-and-results-oriented roots. Today, Spirit Music Group is one of the world’s leading independent music publishers, owning and/or managing more than 75,000 songs spanning seven decades and every musical genre. The company’s repertoire reflects some of the most beloved songs and songwriters of all time, including hits by Frank Sinatra, Billie Holliday, Elvis Presley, Dion, Aretha Franklin, B.B. King, Santana, The Beach Boys, Barbra Streisand, Gladys Knight, Alice Cooper, Pure Prairie League, Chicago, Crosby, Stills & Nash, Brad Paisley, Chaka Khan, Anita Baker, The Go-Go’s, Madonna, Faith Hill, Tim McGraw, Toto, Mariah Carey, Jay-Z, etc.
Spirit Music Group is headquartered in New York with offices in London, Los Angeles, Nashville and the Netherlands.
Reporting to the VP of Finance, the Senior Financial Analyst will be uniquely positioned to help drive key business decisions, contribute to strategic initiatives and process improvements, and influence all aspects of financial reporting by collaborating with the various operational teams of Spirit Music Group.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO):
- Treasury / Accounts Receivable
- Download and monitor daily bank activity and circulate to royalty and finance team
- Update weekly cash forecast for anticipated receipts based on previous year and/or knowledge of upcoming pipeline income
- Create and send out invoices and follow up on any outstanding accounts
- Income Analysis and Tracking
- Perform analytical review of major income source statements prior to ingestion for completeness and accuracy
- Identify any underlying trends in data that could affect future income and cash flow
- Audit data by sampling and comparing data to third party consumption reports and/or recalculating amounts due
- Assist with the preparation of the annual budget model for income and net publisher’s share by aggregating data from various sources including, but not limited to industry trend reports, A&R and creative team input, and historical performance
- Assist with the preparation of the quarterly forecast taking into consideration new signings, acquisitions, blanket licenses, industry and new release trends, etc.
- Update and present the monthly package for actual income and net publisher’s share and provide a detailed bridge analysis between actuals and budget
- Coordinate with the creative team to create the monthly sync income report
- Prepare joint venture accounting statements based on our contractual agreements
- Update the client advance rollforward and deferred income reports
- Other Responsibilities
- Assist with the preparation of data for our auditors
- Assist with the implementation of new financial processes and systems
- Perform ad hoc analysis when requested by senior managment
- Update the IBM Cognos (BI System) monthly by maintaining the mapping between the system and the royalty database, adding new clients when necessary and updating rates
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting/Finance
- Minimum 3 Years of experience as a financial analyst at an entertainment company or from public accounting (Big 4, BDO or Grant Thornton preferred)
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, high productivity environment with tight deadlines
- Experience working independently with the ability to multitask
- System savvy and expert knowledge of Microsoft Excel (i.e., Modeling, V-Lookup, If-Then statements, Pivot Tables, etc.) and Powerpoint
- Ability to identify and escalate situations effectively
- Willingness to work overtime if necessary, to meet deadlines