Are you an entertainment news junkie? Do you thrill your friends with tales torn from famous and obscure sources about artists and performers of every ilk? Are you a bit of a data-head who’s a little obsessed with entertainment charts, ranks, lists and stats? Do you knowingly smile to yourself as you watch a story’s blow-up path, from the feeds to the web to TV, all fueled by the public’s fascination with all things entertainment? And do you have an eye for fact-based stories and an understanding of the role data plays in their telling? If so, we’d like to talk!
Luminate is the preeminent entertainment data and insights company, unlocking access to the most essential, objective, and trustworthy data compiled from thousands of verified data sources. The beneficiary of industry consolidation, Luminate now houses what was once Nielsen Music, BDS Radio, SoundScan, Music Connect, Alpha Data and Variety Business Intelligence.
Many employers require prior work experience to qualify for full-time positions. Gaining hands on experience before your first full time job in entertainment isn’t always easy. Luckily you can gain the experience you need while getting paid at Variety Business Intelligence, the film and entertainment metadata division of Luminate. This role is a part time position based in Los Angeles, CA for six months (twenty-six weeks) and pays $15/hr.
This role is ideal for an aspiring writer, director, producer, or studio/network executive who wants to learn about the entertainment industry from the inside out. This position exposes early career folks to all aspects of the entertainment business in a friendly, respectful environment. Duties include:
- Data Data Data. Gathering and entering various datapoints to support our Film and TV division.
- Researching series and season premiere/finale dates for broadcast, cable, and streaming services.
- Information gathering and updating the database’s television production information including details pertaining to cast, crew, and production status.
- Tracking daily trades and breaking entertainment news.
- Reaching out directly to network and streaming executives for data confirmation.
Who you are:
- Must be available to work 24-30 hrs/week Monday to Thursday from 9-6pm PT.
- Hybrid Working with in office team working days on Wednesdays
- Ability to work autonomously and meet deadlines.
- A high technical aptitude and working knowledge of Internet and software applications, including Microsoft Office products.
- Excellent written and verbal skills and a very high attention to detail.
- Strong interpersonal skills with a team player attitude.
- Ideally currently enrolled or recently graduated (within 2 to 3 years) from an accredited college or university.
- You should love the entertainment industry!!
What makes us shine:
- Our People! We are music fans, film buffs, streaming obsessed, social scrollers, technologists and subject matter experts, scientists, developers and analysts who take immense pleasure in making sense of the data that drives entertainment, so everyone can get paid and more art can be made. That’s why we do what we do.
- Hybrid Work – Flexible Work with in office team days on Wednesdays
- Weekly Provided Lunch on Wednesdays
- Internal Opportunities for growth
More About Us: Luminate is a joint venture between Penske Media Corporation (Variety, Rolling Stone, Vibe, Billboard) and MRC Media (Ozark, Knives Out, Baby Driver, Dick Clark Productions). We are a new company with an incredible history. We power the Billboard Charts, but we also inform the entire music industry with exclusive research, data and insights. We serve the television and film industry, providing deep meta-data on every major production and title.
Luminate is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.